14 December 2007

Q & A

12/14: Man, I have been the world's biggest slacker! Lot's of you emailed me with questions and I know that answered some of them, but not all, so here it goes.

Does Saudi Arabia have sports,movie theaters,and do they go to the beaches and oceans?

Yes, Richard, Saudi Arabia has sports and they go to the beaches, but there are no movie theaters here. The major sport in Saudi Arabia is soccer! Our first day in KSA we went to Ras Tanura for rest and relaxation, and while we were there, some younger Saudi boys played soccer with a couple of the men in the study-tour group. Later in the day we walked along the beach and we could see several organized games of soccer being played. Also, people were flying kites and building sand structures on the beach. At the community building men, women and children were bowling. Later in the trip, I saw male college students playing ping pong, pool, and foosball. The Saudis also go to the beaches. Some women wore their abayas and hijabs while others wore conservative bathing suits. People rode on jet skis and boats, snorkeled, scuba dived, and fished.

Are there any American soldiers in KSA?

No, there are no American soldiers in KSA. We saw soldiers, security guards and police officers but no American soldiers. They are not based in KSA.

What is their perception of privacy?

Brian, I should have asked for clarification on this question, but I am going to answer it as best as I can. People are very generous and hospitable, but we are not shown the grittier aspects of Saudi culture or society, so we don't have a whole picture. Also, many people are reserved in their speech - it is difficult to find criticism against the government (the royal family). Privacy seems to be a prized quality here...for example, there are very few urinals in the men's restrooms; there tends to be more toilet stalls, and many of them are enclosed from floor to ceiling. I wonder if that is because they use hoses to clean their backsides? In Old Jeddah we were informed about the roshan - it is a cantilevered wooden bay window that is carved and allows sunlight and air to enter a house but maintain privacy. I hope this answers your question!

Ms. Zincone asked about the presence art programs in KSA and if art is taught at all grade levels.

Yes, there are art programs in the schools in KSA. Unfortunately, on most of my school tours I was not fortunate enough to visit an art room. At the Disabled Children's Center in Jeddah I was able to observe students making art. There were students there of all ages, and one of the students, Hansan, made a butterfly with sequins for me! I witnessed several students painting on canvas, and they had beautiful paintings. A student artwork display contained paintings, pottery, drawings, and a rug that one of the students had made. Based on what I saw, I believe that they have art instruction at all levels.

No comments: